OEA-Retired Stay Involved • Stay Invigorated • Stay in Touch
The Oregon Education Association-Retired (OEA-Retired) is the NEA affiliate for retired OEA members. Since its inception, OEA-Retired has been affiliated with NEA-Retired, Oregon Education Association and National Education Association.
OEA-Retired provides OEA retirees an opportunity to collectively work toward preserving PERS benefits, enhancing health care, assuring the strength of public education, and providing social activities to our members.
OEA-Retired works with other senior organizations to deal with retirement issues in common, while providing social activities and support for issues unique to retired educators.
There are many reasons to join OEA-Retired, including:
- Opportunity to stay involved.
- Access to OEA and NEA expertise.
- OEA-Retired newsletter on current retiree issues and activities in Oregon.
- OEA-Retired committees that monitor and report on legislative and political action, health care issues, and PERS activities.
- Social gatherings, travel opportunities, dining events and wine tours.
- NEA liability coverage while substituting.
- Access to NEA Special Services (insurance, magazine, etc.).
- No annual fee NEA-Retired credit card.
- Regular publications from OEA and NEA (including special retiree information).
- Representation at OEA/OCESP and NEA decision-making levels.
- Opportunity to participate and vote at OEA-Retired fall and spring general meetings.
What's in it for all of us?
- Educated, caring colleagues sharing collective wisdom.
- A collective voice in influencing the direction of state and national education policy.
- Power to help elect candidates that support public education.
- Strength in numbers increases effectiveness of state and national lobbying efforts.
We retire from our jobs, not our profession.
Events & Travel
OEA-Retired organizes a wide variety of events throughout the state during the year. We also coordinate group travel opportunities, both domestic and international. Join us on an adventure, and make new connections and gain new insights along the way.
Upcoming Events & Meetings:
OEA Retired Fall Conference
October 16-17, 2023
The Mill Casino & Hotel RV Park — Coos Bay, Ore.
I worked for 31 years and was active in the Union most of those years. I knew I would miss the people and the events that I had participated in, so I have found a way to continue those associations.
Leadership & Governance
Learn more about our current leaders, how our organization operates, and run for office within OEA-Retired!
Our leaders and delegates represent retired educators throughout the state during their term, and beyond.
July 2022 – June 2023
President: 2022-2024 (1) Eileen Wende
Vice President: 2022-2024 (1) Maureen Barnhart
Secretary: 2021-2023 (1) Paul Zastrow
Asst. Secretary: 2022-2023 (1) Regina Norris
Treasurer: 2021-2023 (1) Paul Fisher
Asst. Treasurer: 2022-2023 (2) Mavis Randklev
Region I Director: 2021-2024 (2) Ray Johnson
Region II Director: 2022-2025 (2) Paul Schutz
Region III Director: 2020-2023 (2) Ruth Greiner
At Large Directors:
- 2022-2025 (2) Vickie Jackson
- 2022-2023 (1) Janis Eggert
OEA Board: 2020-2023 (1) Judy Christensen
OEA PAC: 2020-2023 (1) Marleen Wallingford
LAC: 2021-2024 (1) Nancy Lewis
- 2020-2022 (2) Maureen Barnhart
- 2020-2022 (2) Eileen Wende
NEA-Retired Annual Meeting/NEA Representative Assembly Delegates
July 2022 – June 2023
Position 1: 2020-2023 (1) Judy Christensen
Position 2: 2021-2024 (1) Deb Wiskow
Position 3: 2022-2025 (1) Janet Jackson
OEA-Retired Board Policies
OEA-Retired believes in the dignity and humanity of all people, and we envision a world where society and its systems . . . are just, fair, and inclusive.
Catch up on what's been happening with OEA-Retired by checking out the most recent issue of our member newsletter, the OEA-Retired PrimeTimes, and by browsing the PrimeTimes archive.