You belong in the Union. Join OEA Today!
OUR MEMBERS CREATE MEANINGFUL CHANGE FOR EDUCATORS, STUDENTS, AND COMMUNITIES
OEA makes sure the voices of educators are actually heard. Together, we have successfully raised educator wages, improved working conditions, and increased public school funding. We can have an even stronger voice when you join us today.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Becoming a member of the Oregon Education Association connects you with a movement of educators and school staff supporting each other. Our union advocates for the funding and resources that you, your schools, and your students deserve. This includes:
Educator Pay & Benefits
- Salary Increases: Won average salary increases of 5% for educators who bargained new contracts during the 22-23 academic years.
- Part-Time Faculty Health Care: Passed legislation ensuring that Oregon's PERS-eligible part-time faculty had access to affordable health care through their employer.
- Retiring with Dignity: Every year in Salem, some lawmakers attack Oregon's Public Employee Retirement System (PERS). OEA consistently joins with other public sector unions to fight back these attacks to ensure Oregon's educators are able to retire with dignity.
Education Funding & Investments
- Student Success Act: Through the dedicated efforts of OEA members, Oregon passed the historic Student Success Act in May 2019, adding $1 billion in funding per year for Oregon schools and students. This new law includes sweeping provisions for new and improved services for children and families, including additional instructional time, providing mental and behavioral health supports, reducing class size, implementing a more well-rounded education, fully funding High School Success, improving school safety and more.
- K-12 Funding: Secured $10.3 billion in state funding for K-12 education in Oregon during the 2023 legislative session, which meets our calculation of what is needed to maintain current service levels for our students.
- Community College Funding: Secured $800 million in state funding for Oregon's community colleges. This amount is $32 million above our calculation of what is needed to maintain current service levels for our students.
- Professional Learning: High-quality, member-led, professional learning opportunities with Professional Development Units (PDUs) or graduate credits.
- Student Support Grants: Eligibility to apply for OEA Foundation grants to provide financial support to students facing a critical need like new glasses or clothing.
- Financial Guidance: Guidance on student loan debt and access to financial planning tools and resources to help you qualify for federal Public Student Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) programs.
- Union Representation: Building-level representation for any questions or concerns about your local union or district issues and to ensure that your rights are consistently protected in your workplace.
- Licensure Support: Access to one-on-one consultations with a staff liaison to the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) to help answer any questions you might have about licensure requirements or changes in Oregon.
- Legal Defense: Access to OEA's Legal Defense Fund (LDF) to ensure your due process rights have been followed, your contract has been honored, and your professional rights are respected.
- Liability Insurance: Access to affordable liability insurance coverage for civil and employment-related criminal issues.